A growing number of studies are showing that low level laser therapy (LLLT), both laser and light-emitting diode (LED) sources, may significantly boost the pregnancy rates of even women who have been unsuccessful with other assisted reproduction treatments like vitro fertilization (IVF).
Acubalance Wellness Centre (acubalance.ca) is the first natural fertility clinic in Vancouver British Columbia to offer patients this clinically-tested system that uses cold laser to stimulate blood flow to the reproductive organs and enhance cellular energy production. The cold laser treatment is particularly promising for couples coping with ageing-related reproductive problems.
Mechanism of low level laser therapy (LLLT/cold laser) for fertility
- Enhance mitochondrial activity and ATP production
- Increase blood flow
- Regulate inflammation and to help reduce oxidative damage
- Softening of scar tissue
What the Studies on LLLT Say
Until recently, Western reproductive medicine has traditionally maintained that ageing and declining egg quality is an irreversible process. However, ground-breaking research with low level light therapy conducted in Denmark and Japan is showing that it may be possible to improve egg quality, slow down the ageing process and significantly improve fertility in women and men. The studies show that low level laser therapy (LLLT) used on acupuncture points on the neck and over the ovaries appears to enhance mitochondrial activity and ATP production, increase blood flow and helps to reduce oxidative damage.
We see enormous potential in this research for women who are struggling to conceive—particularly those who are of advanced maternal age, diagnosed with poor egg quality or have been diagnosed with endometriosis and PCOS.
All our cells are powered by little structures called mitochondria. Eggs have about 200 times more mitochondria than any other cell. When eggs are developing, they use a tremendous amount of energy. And early embryo division and implantation requires lots of energy. After 35 years, the mitochondria wear down. At age 40, nine out of 10 eggs are abnormal.
Studies show that the mitochondria of older eggs is capable of producing significantly less ATP, which is the source of cellular energy. This has a significant impact on fertility, as the rate of division and successful implantation of embryos has more to do with how much energy (ATP) than with maternal age per se. Consequentially, the capacity of the cold laser to improve the ATP production of eggs has a potentially dramatic effect on their viability.
Furthermore, it is known that older follicles have fewer defenses against cellular damage caused by oxidative stress, and that this is related to poorer IVF outcomes. Studies suggest that LLLT treatment could also help with this condition, along with other complications, which impede fertility later in life.
Increasing energy level (ATP) in the cells, improved blood circulation, softening of scar tissue and a reduction in inflammation. These factors are all beneficial to female reproduction in general and to the receptivity of uterine lining.
The recent studies in Japan and clinical results in Denmark have delivered very promising results in this direction. The Danish report showed that LLLT had a pregnancy rate of 66% success for women after at least 4 years of failure with other ART methods. LLLT studies have also pointed to the efficacy of laser treatment in raising the quality of the male partner’s semen in particular motility.
Similarly, the Japanese studies have shown a connection between improved fertility and laser therapy, concluding that even in low doses, laser therapy can help improve the woman’s chances of conception. Under the direction of Dr Toshio Ohshiro at Sanno Hospital, an extended trial on LLLT was performed in 701 infertile patients, 156 (22.3%) of whom became pregnant. This resulted in a successful live birth rate in over half (50.1%) of those pregnancies.
Low intensity laser light therapy has also been shown to be beneficial for a host of other medical issues, particularly those related to women’s health. Laser treatment has been used successfully to treat frequently recurring abdominal infections and inflammations in women, including herpes, candida, allergies, and chlamydia. In addition, it has been used to address hormonal imbalances such as polycystic ovarian syndrome, an imbalance in hormones (insulin, androgens and estrogen and progesterone), which can result in the the interference of ovulation and the growth of ovarian cysts. There have also been promising results in the treatment of endometriosis.
We are a believer in the contribution of state-of-the art techniques like laser acupuncture treatments can make to integrative reproductive care. We stress that innovative technologies such as the LLLT is just one element of a holistic treatment, which combines eastern and western medical health practices.
We bring together the best of Chinese & Functional Medicine with new technology to provide our patients with the best chance of reaching their peak fertility and having a healthy baby.
- Laser Baby Program >>
- Laser Acupuncture for IVF Transfers On-Site at Olive Fertility >>
- Blog: Laser Baby Program Success stories update >>
- Laser success story: Told Not Likely to Conceive Until I Tried Laser Acupuncture For Fertility
- Laser For Fertility Success Story - Combining the Ancient Wisdom of Chinese Medicine with Cold Laser LLLT
- Blog: The Laser Baby Program and Beyond - The Benefits During and After Treatment
- Blog: Acubalance Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) Clinic - One Month Update
- Blog: Laser for fertility low AMH and repeated unsuccessful IVF cycles
Physiological Effects of Laser Acupuncture (LLLT)
Increased production and release of:
- Endorphins – natural analgesics
- Growth hormone – instrumental in tissue repair
- ATP – improves and regulates cellular metabolism
- Increased protein synthesis – collagen, DNA, fibroblasts
- Venous and lymphatic flow facilitated
- Increased angiogenesis – elevation of oxygen saturation
Clinical Benefits of Laser Acupuncture (LLLT)
- Increase chances of conception and live birth
- Regulate inflammation (Help reduce ‘inflammaging’ – accelerated biological aging)
- Cold laser therapy is also known for its ability to normalize and soften scar tissue, and scar tissue is a large contributor to fertility problems. (endometriosis, abdominal scarring and adhesions)
- Eliminates pain
- No known adverse effects
- No drug interactions
- Provides a treatment alternative for patients that have not responded to conventional therapies
Contact us for more information about how laser acupuncture (LLLT) can help you at 604-678-8600 or firstname.lastname@example.org