½ cup vegetable broth or water
2 Tbs. soy sauce
2 Tbs. sesame oil
1 Tbs. rice wine vinegar or lime juice
2 tsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. honey
3 large eggs
1 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 Tbs. vegetable oil, divided
1 small red onion, sliced (1 cup)
2 Tbs. grated fresh ginger
1 cup large stemmed shiitake mushrooms, cut into thin strips
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
3 cups shredded cabbage
1½ cups snow peas, sliced lengthwise
1½ cups shredded carrots
2 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
16 rice paper wraps
Large lettuce leaves, optional
Hoisin sauce, for spreading inside wrappers
1. Combine all sauce ingredients into a jar, close lid, and shake to combine.
2. Put the sauce aside and move on to the stir-fry.
3. Whisk together eggs, soy sauce, and sesame oil in bowl.
4. Heat 1 1/2 tsp. vegetable oil in wok or large skillet over medium heat. Then add eggs, swirl to spread over pan, and cook 1 minute. Flip with spatula and cook 1 minute more.
5. Slide the eggs onto the cutting board and slice into thin strips. Then set them aside.
6. Wipe out wok or skillet, add remaining 1 1/2 tsp. oil, and heat over medium-high heat.
7. Add onion and ginger; stir-fry 2-3 minutes or until onion begins to soften.
8. Add mushrooms and garlic, and stir-fry 5 minutes or until mushrooms are golden.
9. Add cabbage, snow peas, carrots, and green onions; stir-fry 2 minutes more.
10. Stir in sauce, and simmer 2-3 minutes or until sauce thickens.
11. Fold egg strips into stir-fry mixture.
12. Smear hoisin sauce on the inside of the rice wraps.
13. Spoon in the stir-fry, add lettuce, and roll like a burrito.
14. Serve and enjoy!
Recipe by Kirstin Uhrenholdt at www.vegetariantimes.com/