4 cups baby or new potatoes, 1-2 inches in diameter, halved or quartered depending on size
4 cups peeled baby carrots
1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into thirds
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1/2 cup baby arugula for garnish
1 clove garlic, peeled
5 cups baby arugula
1/2 cup finely shredded Asiago or Romano cheese
1/4 cup walnuts
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. To start preparing vegetables, position rack in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 425°F.
2. Toss potatoes with 2 teaspoons oil in a large bowl and spread on a large baking sheet. Roast in the lower third of the oven for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, toss carrots with 2 teaspoons oil in the bowl and spread on another large baking sheet. After the potatoes have roasted for 5 minutes, place the carrots in the upper third of the oven and roast potatoes and carrots for 15 minutes.
4. Toss asparagus with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the bowl. Add to the pan with the potatoes, toss to combine and return to the oven. Continue roasting until all the vegetables are tender and starting to brown, 8-10 minutes more.
5. Meanwhile, start preparing the pesto by dropping garlic through the feed tube of the food processor with the motor running; process until minced.
6. Stop the machine and add arugula, cheese, pine nuts, 1/4 cup oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Pulse and then process, scraping down the sides as necessary, until the mixture is a smooth paste.
7. Toss the roasted vegetables with 1/3 cup pesto and 1/2 teaspoon salt in the large bowl (reserve the remaining pesto for another use: refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze).
8. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with arugula, if desired.
Tips & Notes
Make Ahead Tip:
1. Prepare pesto (Step 5); cover and refrigerate for up to 1 week or freeze in an ice cube tray.
2. Transfer frozen cubes to a sealable plastic bag. Defrost as needed.
From Eating Well, March/April 2010