⅓ cups water
⅔ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained (I prefer the red quinoa for this recipe)
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup millet flour
½ cup finely chopped shallot or leek, cooked in 2 teaspoons of olive oil
until soft, about 5 minutes
½ cup, packed, chopped Italian parsley
1 tablespoon Ener-G egg replacer,
mixed with ¼ cup warm water
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
High-heat cooking oil, as needed
1. Heat a large heavy saucepan over high heat. Add the water, quinoa and salt and bring to a boil.
2. Cover and simmer gently until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Cool. (I lay the quinoa out on a sheet pan to cool quickly). Quinoa should be slightly al dente.
3. Gently mix cooled quinoa, millet flour, shallot or leek, parsley, egg replacer mixture and pepper in a large bowl. Blend thoroughly with a spoon.
4. Heat 1/8 inch of oil in large heavy skillet over medium heat.
5. Scoop out a scant amount for each cake and fry until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
6. Serve with Cilantro pesto.
See "Cilantro Pesto" as a separate recipe