3 1/2 cups water
1 cup steel cut oats
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 cup berries
1/4 cup plain whole milk yogurt -- you can substitute water or rice or almond milk and a teaspoon of lemon if you’re on a dairy-free diet.
1. Combine water, oats and yogurt in a small pot. Cover pot and set aside at room temperature to let soak.
2. After at least 8 hours, bring contents of pot to a simmer, covered, over medium-high heat.
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Stir in salt and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes more until most of the water is absorbed and oats are thick and creamy.
5. Remove pot from heat and set aside, covered, for 5 minutes.
6. Spoon oatmeal into bowls. Top with berries and nuts, drizzle with honey and serve.
Whole Foods Market