8 oz of grass-finished beef steak (or chicken breast) sliced thinly against the grain
3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
1 small carrot, thinly sliced
1 medium red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
2 cups snow peas, trimmed
1 cup broccoli
1 clove garlic, sliced
2 scallions, chopped
1 small red chili pepper, chopped (optional)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons grated ginger
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup cilantro
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1. Place quinoa in a small saucepan with 1 cup water and 1/4 tsp salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
2. Cover and cook, undisturbed, for about 15 minutes, until quinoa absorbs water. Remove from heat, fluff with a fork and leave uncovered. Alternately, you can cook the quinoa in a rice cooker.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet (or wok) over medium-high heat. Add beef strips (or chicken), stir fry them, and then remove.
4. Cook a carrot in the skillet, stirring occasionally until the vegetable softens, about 1 minute. Add broccoli, bell pepper, ginger, and garlic, as well as chili if desired; then cook, stirring frequently, for about 2 minutes. Add peas, sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp. salt & pepper and then cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
5. Remove vegetables and return skillet to heat; add cooked quinoa, along with egg.
6. Cook, stirring constantly, until egg is evenly distributed, about 2 minutes.
7. Add the beef strips, vegetables, scallions, cilantro and soy sauce; cook 1 minute more.
8. Divide the stir-fry among 4 bowls; serve warm.