1 cup short grain brown rice, rinsed
2 cups water or vegetable stock
4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground pepper
2 cups peeled, cubed butternut or kabocha squash
1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
6 cups kale, washed, ribs discarded & leaves chopped
1/4 cup tahini
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp grated ginger
1.5 tsp honey
3/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup toasted walnuts or pumpkin seeds
1 avocado, peeled & cubed
- Preheat over to 375 degrees
- Boil the rice, water & 1/2 tsp salt. Cover put, reduce heat & simmer for 40 minutes. Once done, remove from heat & fluff with a fork.
- Mix the squash with 2 tbsp oil and add salt & pepper to taste. Spread the squash on a baking sheet & roast for 25 minutes, or until browned and fork tender.
- Brown onions in 2 tbsp oil in a large sautee pan. Reduce heat to low and let onions caramelize for 15 minutes, until they are soft & brown.
- Add the kale and a pinch of salt. Let the kale turn bright green and wilt a little. If kale sticks to pan, add a little water and steam the kale.
- For the sauce, mix the tahini, lemon, ginger, honey and 1/2 tsp salt. Add water until you reach a smooth & pourable consistency.
- Serve in individual bowls with 1/2 cup brown rice, topped with caramelized onions, kale, squash, avocado and toasted nuts. Drizzle with tahini sauce & enjoy!
From The Immune System Recovery Plan, Susan Blum, MD, MPH