2 (10 ounce) packages frozen blackberries (or any combination of berries)
2 pounds firm Anjou pears, peeled, cored and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 1/3 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup coconut sugar (coconut sugar has lower GI than cane or beet sugar. You can find it at Whole Foods or in the organic food aisle at Super Store)
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup oat flakes
10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for the baking dish
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup coconut sugar 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine brown rice flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and oat flakes.
- Using fingers or two knives blend in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Toss frozen blackberries with cornstarch, pears, sugar and lemon juice gently to combine.
- Transfer fruit to a buttered 12-inch baking dish.
- Spread crumble topping evenly over fruit.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and fruit juices bubble, about 45 minutes.