4 cups mushroom, vegetable or chicken broth
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 small yellow onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
1 1/2 cup julienned fresh kale
1 cup peeled, cubed butternut squash
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
6 slices astragalus root (optional)
1 fresh lemon, juice of
1 teaspoon miso
- In a sauce pot over medium-high heat, sauté onion and garlic in oil 3 minutes.
- Add turmeric and mushrooms. Sauté 2 minutes.
- Add broth, kale, squash, ginger, cayenne and astragalus. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Add lemon juice and miso (adding miso when still very hot will diminish its probiotic benefits).
- Cover and let sit 5 minutes before serving.
- Whole Foods Market