1 bunch asparagus (about 3/4 pound), ends trimmed
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves, preferably lemon thyme
1 ounce Parmesan, finely grated (1/4 cup)
Kosher salt, as needed
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Steam the asparagus until just tender, about 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook until the foam has subsided and the butter turns a deep golden brown, about 4 minutes. (Take care that it doesn't burn.)
3. Stir in the nuts and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
5. Remove from heat and whisk in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Spoon nut mixture over warm asparagus and serve at once.
From the New York Times