The Benefit to Cells: Effectiveness and Safety of IV Nutritional Therapy
Though most people likely know about micronutrient IV therapy from the news and media (think celebs hooked up to get their pre-show or post-binge nutrient fix), there are many significant benefits to IV therapy that not everyone knows about:
1. IV therapy is inherently more effective than taking oral supplements at correcting intracellular nutrient deficiencies. The reason is that intravenous (‘in the vein’) delivery methods target nutrients directly to where they are needed: the cells.
2. IVs bypass the digestive system, which occasionally can block the absorption of nutrients. For example, patients with digestive disorders (low hydrochloric acid, low digestive enzymes, inflammatory bowel conditions, diarrhea, constipation, gas and bloating) do not absorb all the benefits of their oral supplements.
3. IV nutrients are given in therapeutic doses greater than the minimal requirements set out by the RDA (recommended dietary allowance), because RDAs were developed to avoid allowing the public to reach a deficiency state. The nutrients are given in greater amounts than the RDA because the goal is to have a therapeutic effect – to optimize cellular function, as opposed to avoiding deficiency. The body welcomes the natural nutrients used in micronutrient IV therapy, and the therapy has a very high safety profile. Only a licensed, registered and extensively trained Naturopathic Doctor should deliver you IV nutrients.
4. In many cases, IVs are not only more effective but easier than oral dosing! Many of the nutrients given IV cannot be taken in similar doses via the oral route. For example – the body develops ‘bowel intolerance’ diarrhea to high doses of vitamin C (often around 3500mg). When we use vitamin C therapeutically in an IV to combat colds/flus or chronic disease, we start the dose at around 25,000 mg.
IV nutrient therapy is also inherently safe! It’s not only a great way to boost nutrition status, but at Acubalance we take extra steps to ensure our patients’ safety during IVs:
1. At Acubalance, all of our IV nutrients are preservative free. That’s because we know that some people are sensitive to preservatives, and as chemical compounds we wish to avoid using them at all cost. Storage and preparation of preservative free nutrients is more time consuming and requires greater precision, and they’re also more expensive. But it is a priority for us at Acubalance to deliver the highest quality medical products to our patients.
2. We use only the highest quality, methylated and activated forms of available nutrients. For example, we use the (more expensive but more biologically active) methylated froms of vitamin B12 (methylcobalamin) and folic acid (5’methyltetrahydrofolate). Everyone’s ability to convert B12 and folic acid into their methylated forms is not equal, and some of our patients have a genetic defect that prevents the body from easily carrying out this conversion. If you can’t convert B12 or folic acid into their active forms, you’re not deriving any of the benefit. We believe that the added cost of using activated and methylated nutrients is important.
3. All IV therapy patients are screened by myself, Acubalance’s naturopathic doctor, for any metabolic or general health conditions that could cause nutritional IV therapy to become unsafe. In order to receive an IV at Acubalance, you have to become a patient and have a physical examination complete with medical history and current medical picture. This ensures that our therapies are therapeutic and safe.
If you are interested in asking more questions about IV therapy, you can call to schedule a free 15-minute phone consultation, or drop me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are rolling out a new IV therapy program in March 2015, look forward to more information as it’s coming soon!
Dr. Kali MacIsaac HBSc, ND