IV Nutrient Therapy - Frequently Asked Questions
What is IV Nutrient Therapy?
IV therapy is an “intra-venous, or into-the-vein” administration of nutrients. Each IV nutrient bag is customized to the patient’s needs, based on their specific health concerns. High-dose nutrients are infused into the blood, allowing for immediate use by your cells.
IV Nutrient Therapy vs. Oral supplementation
IV therapy delivers nutrients directly to the blood. This by-passes the digestive system, allowing your cells to use the nutrients right away. As a result, we achieve dramatically higher doses. You can see up to 10-fold higher serum concentrations with IV therapy compared to oral supplementation1.
In contrast, oral supplementation depends on how well you absorb nutrients through your gut lining. This depends on a number of things. How good is your digestion? How optimal is your absorption? Is there digestive inflammation?
Additionally, you can only absorb up to a certain concentration at a given period of time. You can think of your gut lining as a door; you can only fit so many nutrients through the door. Therefore, the serum levels of nutrients you obtain from oral supplementation is significantly lower compared to IV therapy.
What nutrients are used in IV Nutrient Therapy?
Nutrients can be a blend of vitamins, minerals and amino acids. The specific IV composition will depend on your case; customized specifically for you.
Some of the common nutrients (and their functions) include:
- VITAMIN C
- Major antioxidant, boosts immune system, anti-histamine, cofactor used in metabolism and hormone productoin
- B VITAMINS (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, methylated folate, B12)
- An important factor in hundreds of reactions, including mitochondrial support, hormone production, adrenal and energy, immune system, detoxification and many more.
- Relaxes smooth muscles, a cofactor for energy production, adrenal balance, mitochondrial support, glutathione production, DNA synthesis, hormone balance.
- Boost immunes system, cofactor for hormone synthesis, balance, and blood sugar regulation
- Antioxidant, boosts glutathione, cofactor in thyroid hormone production
- Bone health, cardiovascular health, muscle and nerve health
- AMINO ACIDS (i.e. L-carnitine, L-taurine)
- Cofactors for mitochondrial function, adrenal health, energy and metabolism, muscle recovery
How are nutrients selected for a patient?
Each bag is customized based on the patient’s health conditions and health goals. After an initial consult, your naturopathic doctor will develop a plan specific for you. This could range from mitochondrial support, cold and flu support, supporting energy levels, supporting muscle recovery, detoxification, rehydration support and more.
What does IV therapy feel like?
A typical IV nutrient infusion can range from 30-60 minutes. During the IV infusion, you may feel a mild pressure or coolness around the area, or you may feel nothing at all! Our practitioners are experienced and gentle. Come well hydrated and have something to eat beforehand. During your treatment, you can sit back and relax. You can book in for our group IV sessions and come with a friend to enjoy an acupuncture-IV therapy combo session or enjoy some quiet solo time for yourself.
Contact Us for IV Nutrient Therapy in Vancouver, BC
Dr. Ashley Damm, ND
- Gaby, A. (2002). Intravenous Nutrient Therapy: the “Myers’ Cocktail”. Alternative Medicine Review, 389-403.
- Linus Pauling Institution. (n.d.). Micronutrient Information Centre. Retrieved 2020, from Linus Pauling Institution: https://lpi.oregonstate.edu/