How Laser Acupuncture may help with IVF egg retrieval and Pregnancy
Photobiomodulation (PBM) therapy also known as low level laser therapy (LLLT) may be another tool to help women going through an IVF cycle, especially before and after an egg retrieval.
It dawned on me after contemplating how frozen embryo transfers often have a higher pregnancy rate than a fresh transfer because in a frozen cycle the uterine environment is more quiet (and receptive). Whereas in a fresh cycle you are purposefully hyperstimulated to mature several follicles so these excess hormones from both your injectables as well as being produced by your follicles can have the side effect of leading to precocious maturation of the endometrium such that it impairs successful implantation. The egg retrieval is a surgical procedure that leads to localized trauma & injury to the area (insertion of needle through the wall of the vagina plus repetitive ‘poking’ at your ovaries in order to retrieve eggs from your follicles) which may make photobiomodulation / low level laser therapy (LLLT) an excellent addition to support healing and reduce pain and inflammation following the egg retrieval process. Here is why.
Photobiomodulation therapy can be beneficial postoperative because:
- Immediate pain relief
- Speed up healing and reduce postoperative pain
- Reduce inflammation, edema and swelling
- Improves blood circulation
- Improve the battery of the cells (mitochondria) which accelerates tissue healing and regeneration
- Reduction of post-surgery scar tissue and adhesions
- Repairs damaged nerves and may help improve nerve function
- Return some feelings to numb areas
The research for low level laser therapy (LLLT) used in surgery recovery is most beneficial when PBM treatments are performed leading up to the surgery day as well as soon as you can post surgery.
We apply our LLLT devices over your lower abdomen and lymph nodes for a period of time so a therapeutic dose of photons (light energy) can be absorbed and penetrate deep into the tissue where it can reduce inflammation and promote cellular and tissue regeneration. The physiological mechanism leads to improved blood circulation & lymphatic flow (resolve edema and swelling) and promote healing. Hopefully this leads to less need for narcotics and pain killers and a more receptive uterus.
At Acubalance Vancouver, we use acupuncture and Photobiomodulation (PBM) therapy to help optimize embryo quality by supporting the eggs and sperm to reach their peak fertility potential leading up to your egg retrieval. Plus we also use LLLT and laser acupuncture to support uterine receptivity leading up to your embryo transfer.
I see the potential of adding the LLLT to an IVF cycle to support egg quality and uterine receptivity. Receiving treatment the weeks leading up to egg retrieval allows your follicles to benefit from the light therapy as well as prepare your body (in particular pelvis area) to heal and recover at an accelerated rate from the egg retrieval as you prepare for your transfer.
I have shared a few resources below on how to help optimize egg and embryo quality and uterine receptivity for implantation. Good luck!!
Contact us at 604-678-8600 or firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a complimentary 15 min discovery.
Lorne Brown B.Sc., CPA, Dr TCM, FABORM, CHt, CLT, RTT
Founder and Clinical Director
Acubalance Wellness Centre
- LASER ACUPUNCTURE SPEEDS UP THE HEALING PROCESS
- PAIN RELIEF WITH LASER ACUPUNCTURE TREATMENTS
- HOW DO LASERS DECREASE INFLAMMATION AND WHY IS THAT IMPORTANT?
- ACUPUNCTURE TO INCREASE IVF SUCCESS
- Laser (Photobiomodulation) for Fertility
- HOW CHINESE HERBS MAY IMPROVE IVF IMPLANTATION AND PREVENT MISCARRIAGES
- WHAT CAN YOU DO TO IMPROVE EGG AND EMBRYO QUALITY
- ARE YOUR EGGS AND SPERM GETTING THE FUEL THEY NEED?
- HOW TO PREPARE FOR AN EMBRYO TRANSFER
- The effect of infrared laser irradiation on the duration and severity of postoperative pain: a double blind trial
- Low-level laser therapy (LLLT) efficacy in post-operative wounds