Dr. Emilie is helping improve birth outcomes in Mexico.
Having a baby shouldn’t result in an early death due to complications with pregnancy and childbirth. However in Mexico, many women face disproportionately high odds of experiencing preventable maternal health challenges and complications leading to death.
As part of Dr. Emilie’s work as the co-president of the Obstetrical Acupuncture Association and their commitment to improving maternal health and birth outcomes globally, she and 3 others have volunteered to provide an advanced maternal acupuncture training for the midwives at the Luna Maya Birth Centre in Chiapas, Mexico in January, 2020.
Acupuncture training for midwives makes a difference!
Although progress has been made, Mexico has not reached the WHO Millennium Development Goal of reducing 75% of preventable maternal and infant deaths by 2015. It also has a caesarean section rate 7 times higher than the suggested 10%!
Regions with greater levels of poverty, like Chiapas, have the highest rates of maternal and infant deaths in Mexico. In order to improve maternal and infant health while reducing mortality, innovative, cost effective solutions are necessary. Research has shown that Acupuncture can improve birth outcomes, shorten labour, reduce the need for medical intervention, improve postpartum recovery and reduce cost to the medical system.
Who and where (the training details):
Luna Maya Birth Center provides sexual and reproductive health services including out of hospital birth, pediatric services, child development and alternative health care to approximately 2000 families a year.
Luna Maya works to ensure all women in Chiapas, Mexico have access to humanized health services, including safe and humanized birth. They believe that women in Mexico have the right to make informed decisions about their bodies and to have access to resources necessary to ensure their health and wellbeing.
The Luna Maya midwives have a base knowledge of acupuncture through the Global Acupuncture Project and would like to expand their knowledge to better support their pregnant, birthing and postpartum patients.
Benefits of the training:
- Gain another tool to reduce complications in pregnancy and childbirth
- Lower costs associated with more expensive interventions (such as hospital transfers, medications, surgery), saving them for more urgent cases.
- Reduce postpartum complications and improve the postpartum health of the mothers allowing them to better care for their families
- Improve fetal and newborn health
- Reduce postpartum complications
Goals of the training:
- To further the understanding of Acupuncture, while implementing the highest standards of safety.
- Learn how to appropriately use acupuncture to support a healthy pregnancy, childbirth and postpartum period
- Provide a free clinic for patients
The goal is to raise $5,000 to support the volunteers and trainees for the week long training along with ongoing communication and collaboration.