Are your eggs and sperm getting the fuel they need?
Your eggs and sperm need fuel. Once an egg and sperm fertilize, they start to rapidly divide into numerous cells. Each time, the genetic/DNA info needs to be copied identically. This requires a lot of energy.
For a menstruating body, we also need to build a lining that is ready and receptive for an incoming embryo to implant. Building a lining (just like building pretty much anything else) requires energy.
HOW DO WE FUEL OUR CELLS?
Our goal is to provide an environment such that our eggs and sperm have all the resources they need during their development. This takes approximately 100 days.
A lot of the focus becomes centered around which supplements to be taking, but the truth is nothing will replace nutrition. While supplements can be a great adjunct and there should be some basic ones in place (check with your Acubalance practitioner), they are not a replacement for nutrient-dense meals.
When I work with patients on building their fertility diet - we work from the foundation up.
Start with the key principles:
- ½ a plate of diverse vegetables, with at least two meals a day
- Protein with every meal (this should be specific to your body’s requirements)
- Healthy fat
- Complex carbohydrate
- Limit refined, and processed foods (stick to the outer aisles of the grocery store)
These principles may sound simple, but remember that consistent, simple steps are incredibly effective. We also have created a free, comprehensive nutrition guide, (which you can access here), full of resources and recipes.
I WANT A MORE CUSTOMIZED APPROACH, WHAT CAN I DO?
We can dive deeper into our assessment and build this out further. I like to use three tools:
- A macronutrient assessment - to understand how many of each macronutrient you’re getting and if your calories are enough for your body’s needs. This is a great way to fine-tune what you're already doing.
- A complete nutritional assessment - a blood test that measures levels of micronutrients, amino acids, and antioxidants, allowing us to address your specific needs and treat deficiencies. It also allows us to adjust your daily intake of particular foods to prevent future deficiencies.
- A genetic assessment - exploring your epigenetics, and unique nutritional requirements. Sometimes our genetics predispose us to certain deficiencies. If we screen for this, we can really customize your specific nutritional requirements.
Using these tools we can build from key principles and make adjustments to your unique needs. This will allow you to build a strong foundation to support your eggs and sperm during the 100 days so that they can reach their peak fertility potential.
WHAT IF TIME IS LIMITED?
I understand that sometimes, during the fertility journey, your timeline can be a bit tight. Perhaps you're starting an IVF or fertiltiy treatment and want to start correcting deficiencies quickly. IV nutrient therapy is one of my favorite ways to address nutritional deficiencies and provide fuel during the 100 days. I like this because it’s direct access to the cells (goes in via the blood), which means we don’t have to worry about absorption, it’s fast access, and it’s customized to your body's needs. Each bag is uniquely formulated for you.
Want to learn more? Let's schedule a discovery call!
Dr. Ashley Damm, ND