1 cup chickpea (garbanzo) flour
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
2 tbsp + 1 tbsp olive oil
Optional seasonings: 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano), 1-2 cloves minced garlic, 1/8-1/2 teaspoon spice (chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, za'atar), 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
Finding Chickpea Flour: You can find chickpea flour in the bulk bins at Whole Foods and other natural foods-type stores. Bob's Red Mill also sells it in packages. Look for it under the name “garbanzo bean flour” if you're having trouble finding it under “chickpea flour.” They are the same product.
1. Place heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron) in oven and preheat to 450°F (230°C).
2. In a large bowl, sift chickpea flour, pepper and salt together.
3. Whisk in warm water and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Batter should have the consistency of thick cream.
4. Cover the bowl and let the batter set for at least 30 minutes.
5. Remove skillet from oven. Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the hot pan.
6. Pour batter into pan and bake for 12–15 minutes or until the pancake is firm and the edges are set (top may not be browned at this point).
7. Turn on broiler, set socca a few inches below your broiler for 1–2 minutes, just long enough to brown it in spots.
8. Cut into wedges and serve warm.