1 cup dry Chana Dal or Lentils
5 slit Green Chillies or dry chilli flakes
1 tblsp chopped Cilantro
1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
1/2 cup grated Coconut
Salt to taste
1 tsp Mustard Seeds
1 tsp Cumin Seed
2 chopped Tomatoes
1 tblsp Oil
1 meduim sized sliced Onion
1. Wash and soak Dal for 30 minutes.
2. Grind the grated coconut with a little water to a smooth paste in a blender. Keep aside.
3. Fry the sliced onions till golden brown. Remove and keep aside.
4. Cook the Dal with just sufficient water until soft.
5. Add the chillies, turmeric powder, tomatoes and salt. Cook for 3 minutes.
6. When the tomatoes are cooked, add the coconut paste. Mix thoroughly.
7. Cook for a minute and remove from heat.
8. Heat the oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, when they crackle add the
9. Fry for a few seconds over a low flame. Pour over the Dal.
10. Serve hot garnished with the fried onions and the chopped cilantro leaves.
Thank you to Sarah McAlister for submitting this recipe!