Acupuncture for Facial Renewal FAQs
What is Acupuncture for Facial Renewal?
Acupuncture for facial renewal is a whole-body treatment with a focus on assisting the face look and function at its best. It is both preventative and corrective, supporting beautiful skin and healthy aging from the outside in and the inside out.
What issues can Acupuncture for Facial Renewal treat?
Acupuncture for facial renewal can help:
- Eliminate fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduce and soften the appearance of deep lines
- Tighten the jawline and reduce sagging tendencies
- Reduce puffiness and under-eye bags
- Both tone and relax the facial muscles
- Increase local blood and lymph circulation
- Bring more radiance and moisture to the face
- Brighten dull or uneven skin tone
- Calm redness
- Brighten the eyes
- Balance hormones to improve acne or oily skin
- Relieve sinus congestion and chronic rhinitis
- Relive jaw pain and tinnitus
- Relieve insomnia
- Improve energy
- Balance emotions
- Reduce stress and promote total health and wellbeing
How many treatments will I need?
The number of treatments required varies with the individual but averages between 10-15 sessions.
20 treatments may be needed for smokers or people whose skin tends to sag, (i.e., who manifest jowls, “turkey wattles,” droopy eyes, etc.).
Make the most of your treatments by taking advantage of your personalized recommendations given after your first consult.
How often should I come?
The optimal frequency for results is 1-2 sessions per week
How long will results last?
Results can last 3-5 years but of course will be influenced by diet, lifestyle and the normal cycles of aging. Maintenance treatments every 4-6 weeks can help prolong your results.
What is the downtime following facial acupuncture?
There is no downtime with facial acupuncture and you will leave feeling relaxed with increased circulation to the face from the first treatment.
Will insurance cover this treatment?
All sessions are performed by a licensed, registered practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine and should be covered by most extended health plans if you have acupuncture coverage.
Are results comparable to cosmetic surgery?
The results of facial acupuncture are not going to be as dramatic as cosmetic surgery or immediate like Botox. Acupuncture for facial renewal is perfect for those looking to work with their skin to enhance its function and appearance without the side effects of chemical or invasive procedures.
How long has Acupuncture for Facial Renewal been around?
With early records dating back to the Song dynasty (960-1279), these anti-aging treatments were originally design for the Empress of China as well as other ladies of the court. Like acupuncture, using fine needles for facial renewal has well over 1000 years of human trials and continues to be relevant today.
How is Facial Acupuncture different from other types of facials?
Though the focus is on the face, acupuncture for facial renewal is a holistic treatment that benefits the entire person. Your face does not function in isolation and is often a reflection of one’s internal physical and emotional health. Most contemporary skin treatments can be highly effective at the surface but lack the ability to correct internal imbalances. Acupuncture for facial renewal works internally as well as externally to optimize your health and enhance the appearance of your skin. Optimizing one’s health can lead to continued improved skin function for years to come.
What can I expect during my appointment?
During your initial appointment, we will begin with a brief consult to discuss your main areas of concern as well as your lifestyle and medical history. A traditional tongue and pulse diagnosis will also be taken.
During each appointment you can expect:
- Gentle makeup removal suitable for sensitive skin
- Select acupuncture points in the body to help support skin function
- Jade facial rollers are used to prepare and cool the skin
- Facial acupuncture is performed with delicate needles specific for the face
- A panel of safe polychromatic laser light is positioned over the face to boosts cell function and kill surface bacteria
- Relax to gentle music and the option of aromatherapy while the needles and lasers do their work
- After the needles are removed, we will follow up again with the jade rollers as well as a massage with a non-sensitizing blend of facial oils to help protect, repair and moisturize the skin.
Is there anyone who should avoid Acupuncture for Facial Renewal?
Acupuncture for Facial Renewal should not be performed for individuals:
- During pregnancy
- With uncontrolled high blood pressure
- On blood thinning medication including aspirin
- With Hemophilia, Cushing’s syndrome, Addison’s disease or Type 1 Diabetes
- During an acute herpes outbreak
- Experiencing migraine headaches in the last three months
- Using Botox and facial fillers (can enliven the facial muscles and diminish the effects)
It is recommended patients wait to start facial acupuncture:
6 months post cosmetic surgery
3 weeks post laser resurfacing
2 weeks post microdermabrasion, chemical peels or sunburn
3 months since last migraine (can book for regular acupuncture to treat migraines)
How should I prepare for my appointment?
- Make sure to fill out and send in the appropriate forms prior to your first consult so as not to cut into your appointment time.
- You may wish to wear lose, comfortable clothing but you can come dressed however you are. We will provide appropriate sheets for draping the body so that you remain warm and covered at all times.
- It would be best to arrive without makeup but we can remove this for you during the treatment.
- As with any acupuncture, make sure you have eaten within the last few hours of your appointment in order to avoid feeling faint.
To find out more or to book an appointment, please call our clinic at 604.779.3606.